IRVINGTON – On Saturday January 16, 2016, Irvington’s Jamir Brown will be honored by the USA Track and Field New Jersey Association at the 24th Annual USATF New Jersey Awards Banquet. He is being recognized with the 9-10-year-old boys Mid-Distance Youth Chair Award. For Jamir, this is the second consecutive year he will be acknowledged by the organization – something which his older sister, Ja’Nay Brown, has also done as a member of the team. Like previous years, this year’s Awards Banquet will be held at the Pines Manor in Edison, N.J. This acknowledgement comes shortly after Jamir’s fifth-place finish at the 2015 AAU Cross-Country National Competition during his first-ever Cross Country National appearance. Needless to say, both mother and Coach look forward to spending another evening celebrating the accomplishments of this talented young man.
This occasion marks the ninth time a member of the Irvington-based Jersey Heat Track Club is being acknowledged by the USA Track and Field New Jersey Association in the past six years. Since its inception in September 2006, seven Jersey Heat athletes in total have received some recognition from the USA Track Field New Jersey Association:
- 18th Annual Banquet held January 2010 – (then Florence Avenue Elementary School 2nd-grader) Jaziah Hayes.
- 19th Annual Banquet held January 2011 – (then Florence Avenue Elementary School 3rd-grader) Ja’Nay Brown and (then Union Avenue Middle School 7th-grader) Tahaj Johnson.
- 20th Annual Banquet held January 2012 – (then Florence Avenue Elementary School 4th-grader) Ja’Nay Brown, (then Irvington High School 10th=grader) Rameek Loring, and (then Irvington High School 12th-grader) Paul Brown.
- 22nd Annual Banquet held January 2014 – (then Irvington High School 12th-grader) Kadeem Willis,
- 23rd Annual Banquet held January 2015 – (then Florence Avenue Elementary School 3rd-grader) Jamir Brown.
- 24th Annual Banquet being held January 2016 – (now Florence Avenue Elementary School 4th-grader) Jamir Brown.
Anyone needing more information about the Jersey Heat Track Club program can contact Coach Michele Jones-Loring at 973-757-2537 or visit its Facebook page at www.facebook.com/jerseyheattc. Anyone who would like to make a donation to the club can do so at http://www.gofundme.com/jhtc2015-16indoor.