WHIPPANY, NJ — The winners of the 17th annual Gaelen Juried Art Show & Sale, sponsored by Audrey and Norbert Gaelen of West Orange, were announced at the opening reception on Sunday, May 15. The show will run through Sunday, June 26, at the Gaelen Gallery West, Aidekman Family Campus, 901 Route 10 East, Whippany.
Awards were presented for Best in Show, as well as best and honorable mention in the following categories: photography, drawing, painting, mixed media and sculpture. The panel of judges included Lora Urbanelli, director of the Montclair Art Museum; Matt Gosser, NJIT professor and NJIT Gallery director; and Elaine Brodie, fine arts chairperson and McGraw Gallery director at Newark Academy.
The Gaelen Juried Art Show & Sale is highly selective with 54 artists from the greater MetroWest area represented with 84 works of art this year. Most of the art in the show is for sale. The Gaelen Committee includes co-chairpersons Audrey and Norbert Gaelen and Gary Denburg, Bernard Morcheles, Lois Dyer, Julie Levine and Oscar Peterson. The Gaelen Juried Art Show coordinator is Lisa Suss.
The winners are:
- best in Show: Jeri Greenberg;
- best drawing: Carol Clemens for “Otter Lake”;
- honorable mention drawing: Marjorie Paradise for “Way to Pawnee Buttes”;
- best mixed media: Barry Altman for “Eurydice”;
- honorable mention mixed media: Yelena Lezhen for “Two Families”;
- best painting: Arthur Meranus for “Hopatcong Winter”;
- honorable mention painting: Chas Palminteri for “Moody Mood”;
- best photography: Richard Earl for “The Door Prize”;
- honorable mention photography: L. Patrick Binns for “Harmonic Convergence”;
- best sculpture: Susan Lando for “EveryBody is Beautiful”; and
- honorable mention sculpture: Dan Saland for “Blue.”
The exhibition is free and open to the public through Sunday, June 26. Gallery hours are Mondays through Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Fridays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and select Sundays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. For more information on gallery hours, call 973-929-3167. For further information about the exhibit, contact Lisa Suss at 973-530-3413 or email@example.com.