SOUTH ORANGE, NJ — Floods Hill in South Orange is the place to be each Wednesday evening all summer long. Beginning in June, enjoy arts and crafts in a scenic park setting. As the evenings get longer, “Taste the Music” takes center stage, complete with free concerts, food trucks, arts activities and games for the children. In July comes the popular “Moonlit Movies”; bring your blanket and your honey and enjoy the show. All in all, it’s three full months of free arts programming for all to enjoy. Floods Hill is located in Meadowland Park in the area of Mead Street.
This summer of fun is jointly produced by SOVCA and SOPAC and sponsored by Maplecrest Ford Lincoln. For information on helping to sponsor one of South Orange’s summer nights, contact email@example.com.
Art in the Park will take place on Wednesdays from 6:30 to 8 p.m.:
- June 1, life drawing out of doors presented by Arts Unbound. All skill levels are welcome to put down the camera and learn to draw. Arts Unbound will bring a teaching artist to Floods Hill to guide you through poses with a live costumed model.
- June 8, acrylic pour freestyle painting led by Denise Hayden of Funky Fun Art. Get messy with paint in the best place of all: outside. Join Hayden on the Hill as she teaches you how to pour a painting.
- June 15, origami extravaganza presented by Alice Baldwin Jones and the South Orange Public Library. Work with a master folder to create 150 origami objects that will come together in one inspiring sculpture. This event is recommended for participants ages 8 and older.
- June 22, acrylic guided painting led by Denise Hayden of Funky Fun Art. Bring your favorite snack to the Hill and join Hayden as she guides you step by step through a painting of your own creation.
Taste the Music concerts will take place on Wednesdays from 7:30 to 10 p.m.:
- June 29, NJSO Pops presents classical and pop, sponsored by JESPY House;
- July 6, Mark Murphy and Friends present a tribute to Dave Matthews Band and Fleetwood Mac;
- July 13, Dr. K’s Motown Revue presents ’60s Motown;
- July 20, Nine Deeez Nite presents a ’90s tribute and covers;
- July 27, Max Headroom presents an ’80s tribute and covers; and
- Aug. 3, Rock the Hill presents garage bands.
Art in the Park for children, led by Denise Hayden and recommended for ages 5 and older, will take place on Wednesdays from 6 to 8 p.m.:
- July 6, pinwheels;
- July 13, wooden maracas;
- July 20, slap bracelets;
- July 27, sunglasses; and
- Aug. 3, guitar pick necklaces.
All programs are subject to change. In the case of inclement weather, activities will be canceled.