SOUTH ORANGE, NJ — The South Orange Fire Department responded to a radio report from 9-1-1 dispatch of a structure fire at 9 Hoskier Road at approximately 3:30 p.m. on Monday, March 26. Arriving fire department units found a working house fire involving multiple levels of the structure, according to a release from the SOFD.
Mutual aid was summoned from surrounding departments, including Orange, East Orange, West Orange, Irvington and Maplewood; fire units from Millburn, Bloomfield and Livingston were assigned as cover departments at the South Orange Fire Headquarters during the incident.
Firefighters conducted an immediate search of all levels of the residence and all residents were able to self-evacuate the building. Two adult civilians, who lived at the residence, were transported to Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston by MONOC ambulances for evaluation and treatment for non-life-threatening conditions.
Firefighters did find several pets within the structure, which they promptly removed and brought outside.
According to the SOFD, aggressive interior firefighting and suppression efforts resulted in the fire being knocked down in approximately 45 minutes with substantial overhaul and extinguishment of hidden fire in this well-built home, which had been built in 1950 and contained 2,889 square feet of interior space.
Hoskier Road and the immediate vicinity were closed during this incident and re-opened at approximately 7 p.m.
The American Red Cross responded to the scene and assisted the displaced residents in obtaining temporary housing. According to the SOFD, the fire conditions rendered the structure uninhabitable.
Fire investigators from the South Orange Fire Department have classified this incident as accidental, having been caused by electrical equipment in close proximity to combustible materials on the first floor of the structure.
Photos Courtesy of SOFD