SOUTH ORANGE / MAPLEWOOD, NJ — The South Orange-Maplewood Parenting Center, in conjunction with elementary school PTAs, will present a 2018-2019 speaker series as follows:
- Professor Edward Fergus will discuss “SOMSD 2020 – Intentional Integration and Innovation in Our Elementary Schools” on Thursday, Oct. 25, at 7:30 p.m. at Seth Boyden School, 274 Boyden Ave. in Maplewood.
- A panel of SOMSD educators will convene following a screening of “Beyond Measure,” in which educators across the country share their new vision for schools, on Thursday, Nov. 15, at 7:30 p.m. at Clinton Elementary School, 27 Berkshire Road in Maplewood.
- Former Prospect Preschool Director Betsy Geiger will discuss “How Play Affects Brain Development” on Wednesday, Dec. 5, at 7:30 p.m. at Montrose Early Childhood Center, 356 Clark St. in South Orange.
- Author Peter Shankman will discuss “Faster Than Normal – Unlocking the Secrets of the ADD Brain” on Thursday, Jan. 10, at 7:30 p.m. at Tuscan Elementary School, 25 Harvard Ave. in Maplewood.
- Tanya Lewis, SOMSD restorative practices professional development consultant, will discuss “Restorative Practices – Building Relationships and Resolving Conflicts at Home and at School” on Wednesday, Feb. 6, at 7:30 p.m. at Clinton Elementary School, 27 Berkshire Road in Maplewood.
- Psychologist Adam Price will discuss “How to Have Difficult Conversations with Kids” on Tuesday, Feb. 12, at 7:30 p.m. at Jefferson School, 518 Ridgewood Road in Maplewood.
- Licensed clinical social worker and eating disorder specialist Suzanne Rubinetti will discuss “Raising Children to be Emotionally Healthy Eaters” on Tuesday, April 23, at 7:30 p.m. at Tuscan Elementary School, 25 Harvard Ave. in Maplewood.