MAPLEWOOD, NJ — In celebration of Valentine’s Day last month, the Maplewood Recreation Department hosted Truffles and Puppies at the Senior Center at 106 Burnett Ave.
Rite Dadaian of Cakes Couture did a live demonstration on cake decorating and truffle making, among other artistic and delicious techniques. The seniors loved trying the delicious cake from Cakes Couture and got to keep the decorations, which were works of art.
Following the “Truffles” portion came the “Puppies” portion, in which residents got to enjoy five cuddly dogs and puppies. There was a skateboarding spaniel and a fun obstacle course, with seniors even getting to be part of the act. For the show’s grand finale, puppies came out to be cuddled and bring smiles.
“There is nothing better than chocolate and puppies any day, but it seemed the perfect way to celebrate Valentine’s Day, a favorite holiday of mine,” said Melissa Mancuso, director of Community Services. “We had a full senior center, and a lot of happy faces and laughter — and that’s what we are here for. Seeing tables full of newly found friends chatting over lunch makes any day a celebration, and we look forward to seeing more and more new faces at the Senior Center.”
Looking for an upcoming senior event to check out? Here are a few offerings:
- See “Tootsie” on Broadway on April 17.
- Attend “Guided Painting for Seniors” on Wednesday, March 27, from 11:15 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
- Attend a writing class on Fridays from 1 to 3:30 p.m., though there is no class on March 15.
- A St. Patrick’s Day Party will be Friday, March 15, at 11 a.m. and will include a hot corned beef lunch.
- Volunteer to help stuff eggs for the Spring Egg Hunt on Thursday, March 28, at 1 p.m. and Wednesday, April 3, at 10 a.m.
To sign up for any of the above programs or for pricing information, visit Maplewood.recdesk.com/community or call Michelle at 973-763-0750.
Photos Courtesy of Naki Studios