WEST ORANGE, NJ — The Seton Hall Prep cross country team is having a great season. On Oct. 13, the team traveled to Branch Brook Park in Newark to take on Super Essex Conference–American Division opponents Montclair and Newark Academy. The Pirates defeated Montclair (20-38) and Newark Academy (17-43) to improve to 4-0 on the season. They were led by senior co-captains Kevin Harvey 16:13.9, Chris Gizzo 17:04 and Luke Incardona 17:36; juniors Ben Ferrara 17:38, Danny Collum 17:48 and Anthony Bottino 18:04; and sophomore TJ Sparno 18:24.
On Oct. 17, they traveled to Garret Mountain in Passaic County to participate in the Brett Taylor Invitational. The varsity team comfortably secured first place with 48 points over runner-up Montclair, with 74 points. The Prep’s JV squad put up a strong second-place finish led by senior Gabe Ferriero 18:16, sophomore Russell Webb 19:28, junior AJ Villarual 19:37, junior Bedros Maldjian 19:57 and sophomore Vincent Wong 20:24. The freshman team finished in first place behind Ben Brennan, Evan Surmay, Conor Schmit, John Dec and Peter Muir.
The Seton Hall Prep football team dropped to 0-3 on the season with a 34-17 decision to DePaul Catholic at Brendan P. Tevlin Memorial Field in West Orange. The Pirates opened the game when on their first drive they went 61 yards on eight plays with junior Jaden Craig hitting senior tight end Jack Larsen with a 12-yard scoring pass and junior Nick Conforti adding the extra point to give them a 7-0 lead with 6:30 left in the first quarter. After DePaul tied the score at 7-7 late in the first quarter, Seton Hall took a 10-7 lead when Conforti hit a 26-yard field goal with 7:21 left in the second quarter. After the Spartans retook the lead at 14-10 later in the quarter, the Pirates took the ensuing kickoff and drove 75 yards in six plays with Craig hitting senior wide receiver PJ Penders with a 38-yard scoring pass and with Conforti’s extra point to give them a 17-14 lead with 1:22 left in the quarter. DePaul retook a 21-17 lead with :07 left in the quarter. The Spartans scored the final two touchdowns in the final 1:52 of the game to make the final 34-17.
- Jaden Craig: 17-29, 173 yards, two touchdowns, two interceptions.
- Junior running back Myles Thomason: 15 carries for 78 yards.
- Penders: four catches for 48 yards, one touchdown.
- Senior safety Kevin Agnew: 11 tackles and one blocked punt.
- Junior linebacker Jackson Collins: nine tackles and 1/2 sack with fellow junior linebacker Jackson Dowd.
- Dowd: eight tackles and 1/2 sack.
- Senior cornerback Giye Jenkins: seven tackles and one interception.
- Cornerback Jim Palaia: six tackles and a fumble recovery.
- Senior defensive lineman Jeremy McKenna: two sacks.
Seton Hall Prep will host Union City High School onSaturday at Tevlin Memorial Field at 1 p.m.