MAPLEWOOD, NJ – The eighth-seeded Columbia High School varsity softball team rallied for four runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to erase a 3-0 decision to defeat ninth-seeded Bloomfield, 4-3, in the first round of the Essex County Tournament May 3 at Meadowland Park field.
Junior Ellie Mischel had two hits and two RBI; junior Sydney Rednik had two hits, an RBI and two stolen bases; and sophomore Sydney Waldon had a hit and an RBI. Junior shortstop Hudson Hassler had two hits, including a double as the Cougars improved to 10-7 on the season.
Waldon scattered four hits and allowed three runs, two earned, with five strikeouts for the win.
The Cougars won all three meetings with Bloomfield this season. The other two wins came in Super Essex Conference-Liberty Division play.
The Cougars will face top-seeded Cedar Grove in the ECT quarterfinals Saturday, May 11 at Verona.
ECT first round
(1) Cedar Grove def. (17) Payne Tech, 10-0
(8) Columbia def. (9) Bloomfield, 4-3
(2) Mount St. Dominic def. (18) East Orange, 15-0
(7) Verona def. (10) Montclair, 1-0
(3) Nutley def. (14) Newark Academy, 15-0
(5) Livingston def. (12) Millburn, 14-0
(4) Caldwell def. (13) Belleville, 4-1
(11) Montclair Kimberley at (6) West Essex
May 11, ECT quarterfinals at Verona
(5) Livingston vs. (4) Caldwell, 9 a.m.
(7) Verona at (2) Mount St. Dominic, 1 p.m.
(3) Nutley vs. winner of (11) Montclair Kimberley/(6) West Essex, 11 a.m.
(8) Columbia vs. (1) Cedar Grove, 3 p.m.
May 17, ECT semifinals, at Ivy Hill Park, Seton Hall University, 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.
May 18, ECT final, at Ivy Hill Park, 7 p.m.
Photos by Steve Miller
Columbia vs. Bloomfield (Essex County Tournament first round, May 3)