WEST ORANGE – The Seton Hall Prep varsity baseball team won both its games last week, each by shutout, including one in the first round of the 84th Greater Newark Tournament, to raise its record to 16-2.
On Monday, May 2, the Pirates hosted Belleville at the Kelly Athletic Complex and won, 5-0. Senior righty Brendan Shamieh pitched a complete game two-hitter with six strikeouts and one walk.
SHP scored one run in the fifth inning when junior Mike Ukrainskyj reached on an infield hit, moved to second on a sacrifice by senior Joe Giovinco, and scored on an infield error.
In the sixth inning, Giovinco hit a two-run double and senior John Savino hit a two-run single.
On Saturday, May 7, in one of only two GNT games played because of rain, the top-seeded and three-time defending champion Pirates defeated 16th-seeded Cedar Grove, 7-0, at the Kelly Athletic Complex. Shamieh (5-0) pitched a five-hitter for his third complete game of the year, striking out seven and walking none.
In the first inning, sophomore Jack Zyska doubled to left field and scored on a sac fly to center field by Savino. In the fifth inning, senior Ryan Toohers drove in a run on a fielder’s choice and Savino had an RBI on a bases-loaded walk to make it 3-0.
SHP scored four runs in the sixth inning on junior Francis Prior’s solo homer to right field, Zyska’s two-run homer to left field and Savino’s RBI single to center field.
The Pirates will host ninth-seeded Verona in the quarterfinal at the Kelly Athletic Complex at 4 p.m. The winner will face the winner of No. 12 Montclair Kimberley Academy and No. 4 Montclair in the semifinals doubleheader at Belleville High School on May 14 at 3 p.m.
Fourth-seeded Montclair defeated 13th-seeded Caldwell, 8-2, in the other GNT game on Saturday.
(1) Seton Hall Prep defeated (16) Cedar Grove, 7-0
(9) Verona defeated (4) Bloomfield, 4-1
(12) Montclair Kimberley Academy defeated (5) Columbia, 7-5
(4) Montclair defeated (13) Caldwell, 8-2
(2) Millburn defeated (15) West West Essex, 6-0
(10) West Orange defeated (7) Livingston, 6-5
(6) Newark Academy defeated (11) Belleville, 9-8
(3) Nutley defeated (14) Glen Ridge, 10-2
GNT quarterfinals, May 12
(9) Verona at (1) Seton Hall Prep
(12) MKA at (4) Montclair
(10) West Orange at (2) Millburn
(6) Newark Academy at (3) Nutley