WEST ORANGE – The Seton Hall Prep varsity wrestling team, under head coach Jack Decker, had a great season, winning the Essex County Tournament title.
The Pirates, who finished with a 11-9 dual-meet record, boasted a strong lineup.
The following SHP wrestlers have earned Worrall Media All-Area first-team honors:
- Maguire Pecci, sophomore, 113-pound class. Pecci took third at the ECT, second at the District 10 Tournament and fourth at the Region 4 Tournament to finish with a 28-8 record.
- Joe Pratola, senior, 120-pound class. Pratola took second at the ECT and fourth at the district to finish with a 20-10 record.
- Charles Cunningham, sophomore, 126-pound class. Cunningham won both the ECT and district titles and finished with a strong 29-5 record.
- Jake Smith, junior, 132-pound class. Smith won the ECT title and took third at the district to finish with a 25-10 record.
- Danny Young, sophomore, 145-pound class. Young was third at the ECT and second at the district, finishing with a 21-15 record.
- Aidan Monteverdi, junior, 152-pound class. Monteverdi was second at the ECT and won the district title. He placed second at the region to qualify for the state tournament at Atlantic City before finishing with a 34-6 record.
- TJ Calas, junior, 160-pound class. Calas swept titles at the ECT, district and region, reaching the states. He finished with a 33-5 record.
- Jonathan Alvarado, freshman, 220-pound class. Alvarado won both the ECT and district titles and finished with a 23-10 record.