ESSEX COUNTY, NJ — Six Essex County residents were presented Outstanding Senior Citizen Awards during the 41st annual Senior Citizen Luncheon at The Chandelier in Belleville on Thursday, May 5.
Approximately 150 Essex County seniors attended the annual celebration, which recognizes members of Essex County’s various senior clubs for their dedication and commitment to the program.
“Congratulations to our Senior Club members who are being recognized today,” said Essex County executive Joseph DiVincenzo. “Whether you offered a kind word for your fellow members, gave a ride to someone who needs transportation, organized a trip or served as a club officer, your volunteer efforts are the reason this program continues to thrive. Your actions contributed to a welcoming atmosphere where others can strike up new friendships, spend an afternoon and remain connected to their community.”
Former U.S. Ambassador to Germany Phil Murphy joined the county executive at the luncheon and described them as “the backbone of our community.”
Freeholder Patricia Sebold said, “It’s very important for senior citizens to stay active and we are pleased to see you all take advantage of the clubs in our parks system to remain involved in your community. Activities like these contribute to our quality of life and certainly are beneficial to all our residents.”
The Outstanding Senior Citizen Awardees are as follows:
• Carmen Sanchez, from Bloomfield, is a member of The North Ward Center’s Casa Israel. Born in Puerto Rico, she came to the United States in 1963 and worked as a sewing machine operator. She has been at Casa Israel since 2007 and enjoys a variety of recreational activities, especially religious and arts and crafts.
• Josie Nunez, from Bloomfield, is a member of the Watsessing Park Tuesday Club. A member for several years, she prepares the cake that is served at weekly meetings and enjoys playing bingo. She is described as a wonderful individual and an asset to the club.
• Ramona Serra from Newark is a member of the Independence Park Monday Club.
• Barbara Rosenberg, from Belleville, is a member of the Belleville Park Monday Club.
• Mary Ann Arnold, from Nutley, is a member of the Branch Brook Park Cherry Blossom Club.
• Kathleen Kaczynski from Roseland is a member of the Roseland Senior Citizens.