ESSEX COUNTY, NJ — Essex County Executive Joseph N. DiVincenzo Jr. and the Essex County Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs invite the public to participate in Essex County’s 2021 fishing derbies. The free events will be held in six locations in the Essex County Park System.
“Our fishing derbies are an excellent opportunity for our children to enjoy the historic Essex County Park System in a different and fun way. You’ll have a great time creating your own ‘big fish’ stories and spending some quality time with your friends and family in some of the most beautiful parks in the area,” DiVincenzo said. “I invite everyone to come out, cast their lines, experience Essex and take a look at the improvements we are making to revitalize our parks.”
Sponsored by the Essex County Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs, each derby is free and open to children ages 15 and younger. All children must be accompanied by an adult and bring their own fishing pole, bait, bucket and chair. Prizes in various age categories for catching the first and most fish will be awarded at the conclusion of each derby.
For all weekday derbies, on-site registration begins at 4:30 p.m., the derby begins at 5:30 p.m. and awards will be presented at 7 p.m. For the sole weekend derby, on-site registration begins at 8 a.m., the derby begins at 8:30 a.m. and awards will be presented at 10 a.m.
The fishing derbies will be held as follows:
- Tuesday, June 8: Branch Brook Park Prudential Concert Grove, use Park Avenue or Clifton Street entrances, Newark.
- Wednesday, June 9: Verona Park Boathouse, Bloomfield and Lakeside avenues, Verona.
- Thursday, June 10: Weequahic Park Lake, Elizabeth and Meeker avenues, Newark.
- Saturday, June 12: Grover Cleveland Park Pond, Brookside Avenue and Runnymede Road, Caldwell/Essex Fells.
- Tuesday, June 15: Monte Irvin Orange Park Pond, Center and Harrison streets, Orange.
- Wednesday, June 16: Irvington Park Pond, Grove Street and Lyons Avenue, Irvington.
- Thursday, June 17: South Mountain Recreation Complex, Orange Reservoir, paddle boat area, West Orange.
For additional information, call 973-268-3500. In case of inclement weather, cancellations will be posted on www.essexcountynj.org. Canceled fishing derbies will not be rescheduled.